Friday 15 November 2013

(Journal #5) Setting


“Looking For Alaska” was set at Culver Creek boarding school in Alabama. To me, I felt as if the setting of this novel could have been anywhere, as long as it was somewhat similar to Alabama and had similar surrounding towns/states. Although if the book were to be set at a different location, the weather would have to be very similar to that of Alabama (hot summers and cold winters) because the weather is often used to foreshadow what is going to happen in the book. Although I do feel that the setting is not majorly important, the setting was also significant in some ways, as it gave Culver Creek a more southern, relaxed kind of vibe. When I think southern, I think of someplace very homey, congenial and friendly. Because it was set in Alabama, that was the impression or the sort of picture I painted in my head when I was reading about Culver Creek. The various other towns that the kids visited were very southern such as the Colonel’s house, which was just a trailer, something that is very stereotypically southern. And Vine Station, where Alaska was raised was quite important, because when you read about her childhood, you are given a clear picture of what Alaska’s life might have been like as a child. The setting of this novel is definitely very unique but the exact locations do not have too much significance, as there are most likely other places around the world with a similar “southern aura”.

No comments:

Post a Comment