Friday 15 November 2013

(Journal #3) The Day After

“Please sir, can we wait for Alaska?”(p.139)

The moment I read what tragic event had taken place on “the day after”, I instantly felt overwhelmed with a pang of grief and sadness. It felt very sudden and abrupt and I was taken by surprise despite the fact that the previous pages foreshadowed what was to happen. John Green spent 133 pages describing life at the creek from the very first day Miles got there, just to explain who Alaska was and her character; he filled each chapter with so many intricate details and little side notes that built up to make me feel that I personally actually went to Culver Creek with them and that I personally knew Alaska Young and the bright charismatic young girl that she was. Green’s use of words and historic figures and the way that he so meticulously thought out the entire book made the reader engaged in every word written so once I read that Alaska had died, I felt that I truly lost one of my own very close friends. It was as if all of a sudden the world was quiet, and I was in the gym at Culver Creek, I could feel the chilling atmosphere and the sorrow and misery in the air and felt the guilt that Miles and the Colonel (and Takumi) felt as that tear rolled down the Eagle’s cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment